Thursday, February 9, 2012

Struggling with the Loss of a Pet



November 4, 2004

            For weeks after her death, as I worked in the yard, I expected to see Susie bound around the side of the house to greet me in her own effusive way.  It was so typical of her, as she frolicked through the fields and woods that surround our home, to interrupt her explorative sniffing to re-establish contact with me.  At these times Susie would look up from her current project and bound pell-mell across the grass, coming to a sudden halt seated at my feet.  She would fix me with her inquisitive eyes and occasionally bark out some piece of news.  Susie was a somewhat small, black and tan, shepherd-mix dog and she had entered my life at a particularly difficult time about ten years earlier.  She was a devoted companion to my daughter and a constant recipient of her affection. 
Susie died from cancer, a particularly nasty type of tumor that had insidiously invaded her vena cava, the major blood vein in her body.  For weeks afterward, when I puttered in the yard, I often seemed to catch a glimpse of her out of the corner of my eye, but when I looked up my gaze found only the quaking leaves of poplar and sassafras trees and the empty yard that seemed to miss her as much as I did.  Susie visited my dreams for some time, setting her gaze upon me, seeking affection.  These visions were so real that when I awoke I checked the floor beside my bed and found her usual spot vacant.  I just couldn’t seem to wrap my mind around the reality that I would not see her again. 
I had traversed this grief before and I reminded myself that the price of life is death, but the sense of loss would only yield to time and, for the time being, emptiness prevailed.  How many clients had I consoled during a time of difficult grief?  But the loss of a friend and beloved companion is such that empathy for the bereaved is never the same as being in their shoes.  
The loss of a pet can leave one feeling isolated, as if on an island, surrounded by a world that doesn’t understand.  Some people, especially non pet-owners, may make insensitive statements, “It’s only a dog….”  I recall that my great aunt, Dude, was visiting once when my sister’s parakeet passed away.  Honey (yes, that’s what we really call my sister to this day), nine years old at the time, was inconsolable.  Aunt Dude, witnessing my sister’s plaintive wails, remarked to my mom, her staunch, German demeanor coming to the fore, “That kid won’t cry that loud the day I’m buried.”  We loved our aunt dearly; she lived well into her nineties, and was very ready to go when her time came.  Her death was some years ago now, but I think she actually was right. 
A child forms a special bond with a pet and the loss of that pet may be their first experience with the grieving process.  Although I am not a trained child psychologist, I can state from years of experience that involving children in the pet-death process can be of great value to them, especially when euthanasia is involved.  
Euthanasia is the humane, voluntary ending of a pet’s life.  It is performed by the administration of a lethal injection.  The decision to euthanize a pet is the most difficult one an owner will ever have to make, but it need not be a solitary one.  Other family members, friends and your veterinarian can help you to reach a decision of when it is time to euthanize your pet.  I am frequently asked by clients who own older animals whose physical or mental faculties are failing, “How will I know when it’s time?”  My response is that there is no simple formula or cookbook answer.  But if your pet can no longer partake in activities he once enjoyed, or if there is more pain than pleasure in her life, then it is time to think about euthanasia.  These may be subjective assessments and a pet owner is often still in a quandary as to how to proceed. 
I assure a client faced with this dilemma that although the decision is a personal one, I will not let them make a bad decision.  If I feel, after listening to an owner and examining their pet, that there remains a high quality of life, although perhaps compromised to some extent by arthritis or some other chronic illness, I will advise them of palliative, if not curative measures that will delay the decision of euthanasia for the time being.  If, on the other hand, I see inconvertible suffering that will hardly be abated even with aggressive therapy then I tell the client so and advise euthanasia. 
            But so many situations lie in between, and the right path is just not clear.  If, after discussing the facts with my client, I find that they have put thought into their decision and still can’t see the right path clearly, I tell them something like this:

 “It is obvious to me that you have struggled with this decision.  You have, in the process, put your own feelings aside and genuinely tried to make the right choice for your pet.  The suffering you endure in your struggle is, to my view, the greatest act of love you could perform for your pet.  Whatever you decide, either euthanasia, or the continuation of palliative care, I am with you a hundred percent.  It is at these times of indecision when we sometimes feel helpless and inadequate, unable to grasp any decision that feels right.  But understand that the sacrifice you are willing to make in allowing yourself to consider all aspects of the decision, and not just those that are self serving, virtually guarantees that you will make the right decision.  However, you won’t have the luxury of knowing it at the time.”  (To anyone who has read M. Scott Peck’s book, The Road Less Traveled, the above will sound familiar.)

            It never feels good, and may not feel right, to choose to end your pet’s life.  I have watched clients attempt to escape the agony of making the decision in two different general ways.  One, faced with an implacably suffering pet with no chance of recovery may implore me, “Do everything you can, Doc.  I don’t care what it takes.  I’ll never give up.”  Whereas another, who has a pet with a relatively mild injury or illness, may say with despair, “There’s nothing that can be done, he’ll only die anyway - best just to put him to sleep now.” 
            Neither of these people is willing to suffer the discomfort of struggling with an important decision regarding their pet.  They avoid the pain involved in that struggle.  These are the most difficult for a veterinarian to counsel.  Such owners must be gently introduced to reality and at times the task is impossible. 
            Caring for a pet and taking responsibility for its welfare means not only throughout its life, but in death as well.  Taking a pet into your home is always a bittersweet proposition.  As I said earlier, death is the cost of life, both part of the same continuum.  Happiness may abound but sadness is inevitable.  We learn so much from our pets, both in life and death.  

No comments:

Post a Comment